Friday, April 4, 2008

Sewing Frenzy

I was disappointed that the Mini-Retreat I was to attend last weekend didn't happen due to a lot of illness. Ok, so now what? I already had some projects ready to go and really needed to get some of them done. Ummmmmmmmm, yep, gonna have my own min-retreat at home! Since I had planned on leaving on Thursday, I began my home-retreat after lunch. On Friday Lesa (http://www.lesabame.blogspot.com/) joined me! We had a lot of fun and Wednesday rolled around way to quick! I did return to work on Monday but sewed between routes and evenings.
So, what did I get accomplished?

First on my list was a crib quilt for my friend, Maria, who is expecting a baby boy. "Baby Boy Blue" was made by adding sashing and borders to some embroidered blocks. It is ready for the shower we are having later this month.


Have you ever lost a quilt top? I have been seaching for my purple/white log cabin twin top for three weeks now and still can't find it! Since I wanted this quilt for a graduation gift, I gave up finding it and created "Churnin' Purple." Rebeka is redoing her room in purples, so this will be her graduation gift.




Next I finished (with Lesa'a help) a sample, "Nancy's Glory," for Sheryl's quilt shop (http://www.sewwithsheryl.com/).


Time to have some fun and try something new (well,new for me!). It seems like everyone is making bags and totes. I wanted to make one but didn't trust myself! But I DID it! I made the "Professional Tote" by the Creative Thimble. I love love love it! It will be a wonderful carry-on bag when I travel this summer!

At a retreat a few years ago, a demo was done on making the "Traveling Case" by P3Designs. I didn't make one then, but made one over the weekend (no pictures yet). Now Michelle thinks we should each have one to use as a MP3, cell phone, etc. organizer. Not a bad idea! She can keep it her purse, sports bag, etc. as she travels to/from softball games, visits friends and if I add a handle, it will be a great way to carry everything when we travel to Hawaii in June. Smart kid!

When I was looking for my missing top, I found some patterns I forgot I had. One of them was the pattern for the "Whimsy Bag" by Lazy Girl Designs. So I had to make one of these too!


Also finished up my Ohio Star blocks that will be swapped at the June retreat--The twelve red/white ones and the twelve blue/white ones look rather lovely sitting here awaitin' their new owners! Then I made my black-n-white pinwheel blocks for this quarters exchange. Feels great to be ahead of the game for a change!

A very productive 5 days! Too bad life and work won't let me extend my home-retreat, but maybe I can have another one soon! Wanna join me?

Irene

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I do..I do!!! I love your quilt tops and bags and just everything. Nothing like sharing quilting time with a friend, too!

Unknown said...

Come on over! Now have empty beds in the house so let's parteeeee! I love sewing with friends! Seems I get so much more accomplished!

Irene