Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cold! Snow! Flannel!!

It's been cold and snowy here in Ohio, so what a better time than this to work with flannel??? A top gets made into a quilt and it keeps me warm while working on it! I've had a slow start since I had the flu then the Holidays, but decided this week I absolutely have to get motivated!

Michelle was home a few days over the Holidays and she and Hubby were fighting over the one flannel quilt in the house! Ok, now why do we only have one flannel quilt if I've been doing flannel block swaps since 1998?????? (didn't swap in 2010). Eleven years of blocks have added up to six quilts. Had to combine some years to get enough to make the quilt big enough.

Anyway, this week has been "flannel" week so far. The blocks were set and borders added...digging in the flannel tub, I found a piece big enough for the backing. Now, do I have a batting? Can I possibly quilt this on my machine???? Found a bat that was earmarked for another quilt--but decided to borrow it for the flannel quilt. Thread? O NO!! I don't have yellow thread???? Wait, there's that box of thread Jan gave me---so off to the garage I go. YIPPEEEE found a "yellow" that will work. Took me three days but the quilt is DONE!!!!!!


3 comments:

ann said...

good job on the quilt...but Idoubt that it will stop all arguments

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. I am sitting on a box of flannel that my mom and I bought year ago for a quilt that never got made. Something scrappy will come from it one of these days I am sure...just not sure when.

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Wonderful quilt Irene! I love flannel, but have never really collected it. I do have flannel backing for quilts just for my customers, but never occurred to me to collect any for a top for myself. Never enough time to do everything I suppose. I love the flannel quilt from the blocks you made that went into Sandy's quilt. I bet she is snowed in and snug as a bug right now all wrapped up in it.