Friday, July 9, 2010

Pressing/ironing while piecing quilts

How have are you set up to do your pressing as you piece your quilts? Do you have a pressing table by your machine? Do you have to get up and walk to an ironing board? Do you have a table top pressing mat?

As I am planing on what to take to Mini-retreat at the end of the month, I hae been ponding the best pressing set up to include. There will be one ironing board and iron there, but one of the projects I am planning on taking to work on, takes a lot of pressing, in fact, after each sewn seam! So do I get up and walk each time, or do I try something else? Will a tabletop pressing mat crowd us? How much table space will I actually have? If I have to share a table,will this crowd us????

I think we have found a solution! I went out and bought an inexpensive wooden TV tray and a pressing mat. I was at Stacy's and told her what I had in mind but also told her I wasn't sure what/how I wanted it would work. Basically, how am I going to keep the mat from moving, etc. So once again she and Kevin came up with an idea and it works wonderfully! It's the right height, the pressing area is secure and it's easy to transport! I may add a fabic top yet but not sure.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Missouri Star Quilting Company has a great tutorial on how to make a portable pressing mat that you can make any size. I am thinking about revamping the top of my ironing board with the method.

I do have an ironing board in another room, so I have to get up and iron. I usually chain a bunch of pieces together and go iron all at once. It keeps my fanny from going numb. Probably wastes time, but burns a few extra calories too.

Edna said...

I usually take along a pressing board that is about 12 inches square and find that, even with two people to a table, there is enough room for it.

I have seen instructions for covering a wooden TV table to create a portable pressing station to be used next to you when sewing. Not sure right now where I saw it though.

Bianca said...

Irene,

I think your little pressing board will work great for Retreats, and at home.
I have my ironing board where I have to get up and walk a little. That way my back won't get stiff.

Anonymous said...

I have seen those before and have been pondering the idea of making one. They are fantastic. For now I still use my old June Taylor but I think she is ready to be retired... I too do lots of pressing of small pieces constantly for projects. It's not that I mind getting up to iron but it seemed that's all I was doing so I love having a small pressing board next to me. Save the real ironing board for the final or bigger projects. I think you will love your new toy!!!